Happy New Year dearies.. Have very happy and prosperous new year 😊
I am starting this new year on a nostalgic note, on 31st December on our way to my in-laws place we visited my mother’s home. My grandparents passed away when I was a kid but I grew up hearing a lots of stories from my amma.
She loves talking about all her childhood memories and the places they lived and visited. One prominent memory among them is especially of Christmas, my grandma was an excellent cook and she bakes really good cakes. So on every Christmas she bakes lots and lots s of cakes, for neighbors, and workers at grandpa’s business.
On all that stories one cake that stood out is carrot cake, being a vegetable hater I used to wonder what will a cake made with a vegetable taste like. I always wanted to taste one, byt by the time this curiosity aroused for me our grandma was not with us anymore, pestering amma into baking one never worked either. Then after many years I stumbled upon a carrot cake in one of the bakeries near our hometown and I absolutely fell in love with ut. I never thought something this beautiful can be made from carrots.
When I started venturing into baking and cakes this is one I wanted to make, and that turned out beautiful. So this is my story and cake I want to share with you people on this new year.
- Course: Dessert, Snack
- Cooking Technique: Baking
- Preparation Time: 20 mins
- Cooking Time: 40 mins
3/4 cups all purpose flour
400gms Carrots (not grated) ; yields around 250 gms grated carrot.
1 tsp baking powder
1/2 tsp baking soda
3/4 cup Powdered sugar
1/2 cup olive oil
1/4 tsp salt
1/2 tsp cinnamon powder
1 teaspoon vanilla essence
Handful of nuts and raisins.
- Preheat the oven to 180 degree C and grease and dust a 9 inch pan.
- Peel the carrots and grate tgem, 400 gms Carrots will give us around 250 gms grated quantity.
- Sift the dry ingredients (flour, baking powder, baking soda) together and keep it aside.
- In another bowl, beat the eggs.
- Add the sugar to the beaten eggs and mix till the sugar dissolves. Then add the salt to it as well.
- Add the oil little by little to the mix while continously stirring. (I don’t have electronic hand mixer, so its all hand work for me)
- Now fold in the dry ingredients with a spoon or spatula and the batter become quite thick.
- Now stir in the grated Carrots.
- Now stir in the nuts.
- Coat the Raisins in some flour and keep it aside.
- Pour the batter into the prepared dish, and top it up with the flour coated raisins. Move it around so the raisins willgo inside the batter. Flour coating the raisin will avoid sinking of the Raisins to bottom while baking.
- Now bake at 180°C, in an OTG for minutes 30 minutes in bottom coil and next 10 minutes with both top and bottom coil. In an microwave convection first half, ie. around minutes 20-25 minutes covering tge top of the cake with an aluminum foil and rest of the time with out the foil. Check tge cake by inserting a clean and dry Toothpick to the center of the cake, if the Toothpick comes out clean then the cake is cooked otherwise cook it for a few more minutes. (In microwave convection, once u get required coloration for the crush cover the top of the cake so that it won’t get burned)