This is the first time am making or eating an upside down cake. I always wondered how these type of cakes taste like an know I know they are really yummyyyyy!!!!
Recipe inspiration : Vanitha 🙂
Banana Upside Down Cake
- 100 gms All purpose flour
- 1 teaspoon Baking powder
- 2 Eggs
- 100 grams Granulated Sugar
- 50 millilitres Milk
- 38 grams Olive oil
- 1 teaspoons Vanilla essence
- 2 Bananas
- 2 tablespoons Butter
- 50 grams Sugar
- water (optional)
Banana Layering :
DirectionsFor the Cake:
- Preheat the oven at 180 degrees for 10 minutes.
- Mix all purpose flour and baking powder together.
- Beat the eggs using a fork.
- Powder the sugar and add it to the beaten eggs. Beat till the mix thicken.
- Add to the eggs n sugar, flour-baking powder mix, followed by milk, oil and vanilla essence. Mix it all in, don’t beat much after till. Batter will be little too loose but don’t worry the cake will turn out fine 🙂 If you want you can add roasted cashew nut powder to it like we did for nutty vanilla cake.
For the bottom layering :
- Slice the plantains into circular pieces and keep it aside.
- Heat butter in a tawa and to it add the sugar and wait till the sugar melts and starts to turn light brown.
- Now add the sliced plantain to the caramel, coat it well and cook it slightly, if you think the caramel dried up and not coated well into the bananas add a little water. It might for hard caramel pieces but don’t worry just add it to the cake while layering, it will just melt when you bake it
- Grease the pan with olive oil and dust it with a little flour on the bottom and sides.
- Layer the bottom of the pan with the caramelized bananas, then pour the cake batter over it.
- Bake the cake for a total of 30 minutes with 20-22 minutes with heat from bottom and 8-10 minutes from the top part. While giving heat from top check constantly to avoid burning of the upper part of the cake.
- Once removed from the oven let the cake sit for a few minutes just to calm down the bubbling caramel, then remove it from the pan before it cools down. It will be difficult to separate the cake from the pan once it cool down so remove it from the pan before the cake cools down.
- A few banana pieces might stick to the bottom of the pan just remove it from the pan and put it back on the cake or you can just put it in you mouth 😉
- Now slice it up and serve hot.. Help yourself with a big serving, you deserve it 😉