Payasam is my all time favorite, my cooking escapade started from my love for payasam. When I first started cooking payasam used to be a daily member on our afternoon tea table, it reached to a point that my sister threatened to kill me if I make payasam anymore. My mom is an expert in payasam, she have her own tips and tricks with it, so it is handed down to me when I started my adventure.
This is the first payasam recipe am posting in here, this is one of our favorite payasam, my mom, sis and I love payaru payasam, with my undying love for payasam you can expect more payasam recipes in here 🙂
- Cuisine: Kerala
- Course: dessert
- Cooking Technique: Boiling
- Cooking Time: 30 mins
500 grams Cheru payaru paripu / Split green gram dal
1/4 cup Sago
700 grams Jaggery
Dried ginger powder
1.5 cups Thick Coconut milk
2 tablespoons Ghee
- Wash the gram and cook gram and sago in a pressure cooker along with some water (water should stay well above the level of gram). Keep the cooker in high flame till the first whistle, then lower the flame and cook for 5 minutes.
- Melt the jaggery with some water in a separate pan. Strain the solution and keep it aside.I used a big jaggery ball and around a half piece, and I assume it might be around 700 grams. Add it according to your taste.
- Once the gram is cooked and pressure is release, remove the lid and stir in the jaggery solution into the gram.
- Saute the solution for a while till the content reduce in quantity.
- Pour the coconut milk into it and mix well, bring the content to boil and switch off the flame. Add a pinch of salt and mix it in well, salt will neutralize the taste of the water in the payasam.
- To this add powdered cardamom and dry ginger. Add around one tablespoon dry ginger at first, then taste it and add more if needed. Dry ginger gives a little spicy taste, so too much of the ingredient will make the payasam spicy and too little will give u tummy troubles, so be a little careful when u add the dry ginger..
- Roast the cashew nuts and raisins in 2 tablespoon ghee and add it to the payasam.
- Serve hot.