Except from cooking my other hobby is reading and in every book I read there is a lot of mention about pancakes and about a varieties of pancakes .. banana pancakes, blueberry pancakes, chocolate chip pancakes, pancakes and maple syrup, chocolate sauce whipped cream blah blah blah blah… everyone is crazy about pancakes. But being born and brought up in a remote part of Kerala I never got a chance to taste this much loved dish so I decided to try it out on my kitchen. And the first time I tried it it was a big failure and my sis banned me from trying it out again 😦
Well, luck was in my favor when mom had to leave home early for a wedding leaving me in charge of the kitchen 😉 I blackmailed my sis into letting me try out pancakes again and this time she loved it 🙂 🙂 and I don’t have to worry about the amount of butter I consume 🙂
I did not have any syrup or sauces here at home, only fruity thing I had was the mixed fruit jam, so I decided to make a simple fruity sauce out of that, even though my sis hesitated a bit before trying it out, at the end she was licking her fingers clean 😛
- Cuisine: american
- Course: breakfast
- Cooking Time: 15 mins
1 cup All purpose flour
2 teaspoons Baking powder
3 tablespoons Granulated Sugar
to taste salt
1 cup Milk
2 tablespoons Vegetable Oil
1 teaspoon vanilla essence
Fruity Sauce :
2 tablespoons Mixed fruit jam
4 tablespoons Water
- Mix the flour,baking powder, sugar and salt together.
- Beat the egg and add it to the milk and mix them well.
- Make a well in the middle of the flour mixture and pour the milk mixture into it and Mix until smooth.
- Add the oil and essence into the batter and mix until everything blend together.
- Heat a lightly oiled frying pan in medium heat, our a scoop of batter on to the pan.
- Wait till the air bubbles appear, once you can see air bubbles all over the top side of the pancake flip the pancake, the bottom side will have a golden colour to it. Don’t press the pancakes or over cook it.
- Move the pancake to a serving dish and continue the process with the rest of the batter.
- To make sauce mix the jam and water together and boil it till the jam dissolves in the water,continue boiling till u reach the required thickness. If the sauce is too thick for you taste add more water. I added the jam and water in 1:2 ratio, i.e 2 part water for 1 part jam.