My sis was going on and on about having biriyani for lunch for a few days now and I was not so in a mood for biriyani…. yesterday she was like “at least make some usual fried-rice”…. Poor girl! 😛 So I thought I will make something different for her as she will be leaving for hostel in a few days… And ended up making Ghee Rice for her and she loved it.. I had to make it twice on a single day since we couldn’t save some for dad when I it cook for lunch 😀
- 1 cup Basmati rice
- 1 Onion
- 2 tablespoons Ghee
- 4 nos Cardomom
- 4 nos Cloves
- Cinnamon – a small piece
- Cashews – as much as u like 😉
- Raisin – same as in the case of cashews
- 2 cups Water
- Ginger-garlic paste
- In a heated pressure cooker add 2 tablespoon of Ghee.
- Add the cashew to it and once it started to look a light brown add the raisins as well… Once both are fried well remove it from the cooker and keep it aside. I love cashews and raisins in my rice so I tend to add a lot 😛
- Roast cardamom,cloves and cinnamon a little with out oil and then crush it, don’t powder it just crush it a little.The roasting will unlock more aroma…
- Add the crushed spices to the ghee and wait till fragrance is released.
- Add to it the chopped onion and saute well. After a while add the ginger garlic paste to the onions.
- Once the onions softens and become translucent add the Basmati rice to it and fry it in the ghee till the water content absorbs and rice become less sticky.
- Add 2 cups of boiled water to the rice, close the lid of the pressure cooker. Cook till the whistle blows, then switch off the flame and wait till the whole pressure is released.
- After opening the cooker you can transfer the rice to a serving dish and decorate it with the fried cashews and raisins.
- You can soak the rice beforehand in lukewarm water if you want to.